Monday, May 2, 2011

War-zone

(Photo Courtesy of Birmingham News, Mark Almond)
                                       
I just passed through one of the harder hit areas this morning. I had heard how bad that it was, even seen a few pictures. I thought that I was prepared and yet my jaw was in my lap the entire time as I drove. Traffic is still restricted to one lane, so I had plenty of time to go slow and just take it in.

Destroyed cars, homes in pieces, I even saw a brick house with the top half (not just the roof) ripped clean off. The civic center where many local schools had basketball tournaments and graduations was severely damaged, with daylight clearly visible all the way through the middle of it.

The Huddle House, which I would have thought to be a sturdy building, barely even qualified as a pile of rubble. Trees down by the dozens, power lines, and folks scurrying all over trying to put things to some semblance of right again. That was just the main street in Rainsville. I dared not venture down the side roads in the affected area.

Good on the people working hard to clean up and fix things, but it's gonna be a long time coming before anything is ever "normal" again. For some people, it never will be again.

No comments:

Post a Comment