Monday, May 16, 2011

Mushrooms of the Hay Bale: The Return

Yesterday morning as I was leaving for work, I was disappointed to see new inky caps growing from the hay bale. As excited as I was to see them standing tall with young fresh conical caps, I hated to accept that I didn't have the time to take any pictures or collect any specimens. However, I am happy to report that I am taking a few days off work as of today. I had to wait for this morning's rain to stop for a little while, but as soon as it did I was out there taking pictures. Ahh, fresh Coprinus...

young inky
inky gill detail
inky cap detail
thin membrane
The cap is merely a thin membrane holding the gills in place.

inky traces
Even at this stage, when dragged across paper the cap leaves inky traces.

inky curl
This one is just beginning to curl.

inky drip
Here is a fine example of the inky spores ready to drip and spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment