Friday, May 20, 2011

A Sad Day in the Garden

So I planted some corn yesterday. That's the good news. But being a beginning gardener, I am learning as I go, and that sometimes brings sad news. Fungus. I wish now that I had known what I was looking at right away. The weather has brought perfect conditions for mushrooms, which I got caught up in. Meanwhile, some undesirable fungi were finding the conditions quite favorable on my plants. At first I thought, "Oh, it's just a little dead spot on the leaf-- no big deal". Then I noticed more. Things did not look good. I thought something was chewing on them. It occurred to me that this would leave holes, not ringed spots that kept growing. The pawpaw leaf spray obviously couldn't help. So I looked up plant diseases and saw a few that I recognized. I looked up organic fungicide. Grain alcohol vinegar with 10% acidity comes highly recommended, but I haven't found it for sale locally. So the recipe I'm going with is 1 Tbsp. baking soda in 4 cups warm water with 1/2 Tbsp. mineral oil and a dash of dish soap, shaken well and sprayed on.

Most sources say to remove diseased plants and burn them. If the fungus is just beginning to grow, you can prune off the affected leaves. It has spread to nearly everything: vegetable plants, herbs, flowers, possibly fruit. And almost every single leaf shows beginning signs of little yellow speckles. It's a horrible tragedy, and I didn't know what to do. I was not willing to abandon my plants. I picked off some of the worst looking leaves, and told myself perhaps that would be enough. I was standing there agonizing in front of the hot & spicy oregano. Now this hot & spicy oregano has been with me for a while now; it was one of the first herb plants I bought. It saw me struggling with my ambivalence and it stepped in. It told me the only way to save the plants is to go ahead and strip off the leaves except for the tiniest new growth and then continue to spray with the baking soda mixture. I didn't want to give in, but the oregano was very persistent and brave. "Just go ahead and take the leaves; we will spring back. It's the only way to save us." It pained me... it pained the plants. But I trust my friend, hot & spicy oregano; so I proceeded. We sat around a fire last night and I burned the leaves that I had spent hours pulling from my plant family, thanking them for their guidance. Plants are very brave; they keep moving forward and trying to grow when things get difficult. They are willing to make sacrifices for the greater good. We could all learn from these marvelously simple creatures.

My plants are skeletal and naked now; but they all look hopeful just the same, covered with tiny new growth ready to start a new beginning. Take fungus very seriously. It can take over everything. Take precautions before any sign of a threat. Become familiar with plant diseases before you notice anything is amiss. This site was helpful to me: http://www.planetnatural.com/site/plant-diseases.html
Here is another: http://www.ghorganics.com/page15.html
By the way, one of my apple trees has fire blight; so there's another thing to deal with. I have a bit more leaf stripping to do today before I'm ahead of the fungus. I would like to give thanks to all of my brave plants, and especially my hot & spicy oregano. I'm not sure I could have gone through with the process without its encouragement and support. If you think I'm talking crazy, then you don't know plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment